Are You Waiting For The Big Shimla Summer Festival?By
One reason to visit Shimla every summer should be to participate in the Summer Festival in Shimla. The Shimla Summer Festival 2017 was a huge hit with tourists and locals. Generally, the festival is held during May or June every year.
Summer Vacation in India with Shimla Summer Festival 2017
The Shimla Summer Festival 2017 was a riot of colors. It ran from June 2nd to June 3rd and was very well attended. The summer festival in Shimla is an annual affair which has been held for many years now.
- Songs and Singers: This year’s Shimla Summer Festival began with a lovely performance by one of India’s greatest singers today, Alka Yagnik. Shimla looks absolutely resplendent at this time of year, bright and colorful, and there is a lot of anticipation about the days ahead.
- Holiday Destination: Of all the summer holiday destinations in India Shimla is one city that remains very cool during the summer. That’s because of its location – Shimla lies at the foothills of the Himalayas and is fully protected from the heat of the typical Indian summer. The cool breeze flows here from the Himalayas and it is an absolute pleasure to be here during this time of the season.
- Most Popular Place: Summer is also when Shimla is packed with tourists as it is one of the most popular hill stations in India. The flowers are in full bloom, there is excitement in the air and everyone is in a good mood. This is the time when honeymooning couples plan their visit to the hill station. Foreign tourists visiting India make Shimla a part of their journey during this time of the year as a summer vacation. The Summer Festival in Shimla is open to the public. Everyone has an equal say in the running of the festival, so you have local artists performing folk dances.
- Cuisines: Also popular are the food fests. There are always a number of women, both locals and tourists, participating in various culinary competitions. There are also flower shows where you have all sorts of flowers from every part of the world displayed.
Other Festivals in Shimla
- Ice Skating Festival: Then you have the ice skating festival, which is perhaps one of the most popular events here. Shimla is one of the few places in India where it actually snows. Shimla also has ice skating rinks, which are very rare in India.
Sure, there are a number of ice skating rinks in Europe and North America, but very few in India for obvious reasons. The heat in India is so oppressive that it is impossible to maintain an ice skating rink here. Shimla is one of the few places in India where you can experience ice skating – this is something you must do at least once in your life.
- Himachal Film Festival: Another interesting event is the Himachali Film Festival. During the film festival, you can watch musical performances by local artists as well as by nationally renowned singers. The local artisans display their wares, and you can shop for exquisite handicrafts of your choice.
The festivals witness enthusiastic participation from one and all, including elderly men and women, housewives, young men and women, teenagers and school children. The whole of Shimla comes alive on this occasion and there is much to celebrate.
History of Shimla Summer Festival 2017
The Shimla Summer Festival has been around since the 1960’s. It was a favorite of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who was a chief guest at many of these events through the years. Since then the festival hasn’t quite had the same national importance as in the past.
- Inauguration: The Shimla Summer Festival 2017 was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Virbhadra Singh. The festival was held at the Ridge Maidan. The first day of the festival saw performances from talented artists such as Madhuri Pandey, Akanksha Sharma, and Rajeev Thapa. There was also a wonderful performance by the National Ballet of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The first day concluded with a lovely performance by the famous singer Alka Yagnik.
- Day 2: The second day of the festival saw performances from many well-known local singers, comedians, and dancers. This was the day where the local Himachali talent came to the fore.
- Day 3: Day three of the Summer Festival in Shimla was notable for the fashion show, which had many top Indian models walking on the specially built runway, showing off the latest fashions and other great designs by local fashion designers. This was followed by the Miss Shimla beauty contest, which had dozens of pretty young ladies from the city participating. A worthy winner was found by the judges. While the third day of the festival was all about glamor, the fourth day was about classical music. There was a melodious performance from the ghazal artists Ahmad Husain and Mohd Hussain.
- Cultural Program: They were followed by the Punjabi singer Sardool Sikander who belted out his super hit tunes for a crowd. The audience then laughed at the funny jokes made by popular comedian Deepak Raja.
- Day 4: The fourth day of the festival concluded with a dazzling performance by Bollywood’s leading female playback singer Shreya Ghoshal. This was certainly the highlight of the festival.
- Day 5: The fifth and the final day of the Shimla Summer Festival was open to the audience. Tourists from all over India and from dozens of countries around the world participated enthusiastically.
The day began with a spectacular musical performance by the highly talented Sultana Sisters. This was followed by the food festival held at Gufa and Ashiyana at the Ridge.
- Folk Dance: Thousands of guests attended the folk dance festival at Gaiety Theatre at the Mall Road. There was a baby show organized that saw participation from dozens of tiny tots with their parents proudly showing them off.
- Dog Show: There was also a dog show where amazingly talented canines were put through their paces. All winners were given prizes and there was a lot of fun to be had. The highlight of the evening was the singing and folk dancing competitions. Over 400 local singers participated and only a select few were shortlisted for the final round. Finally, a winner was selected.
- Judge’s Opinion: One of the judges, music department professor Ram Swaroop Shandil of Himachal Pradesh University, said in an interview with the Times of India, “Our focus is to showcase the true talent the state is bestowed with. We admire that a large number of youth were willing to participate in the fest,” he added. And so the Shimla Summer Festival 2017 finally came to an end. It was a great time for tourists as they got to watch performances from some of the most talented actors, musicians, dancers, and theater personalities from the state of Himachal Pradesh as well as from across India.