Checklist To Consider Before Buying A Car Insurance Policy In IndiaBy
To buy a new car, you need to do research on models, prices and other features. You liked the price tag of the car and took the test drive to check whether it’s comfortable for driving. With much excitement, you decide to buy it. But there is one more price tag you should consider buying. That is your car insurance or auto insurance. Your car insurance is much similar to the medical insurance you purchase for yourself and your family. Just like your medical insurance ensures you to provide medicinal benefits in case of any accident. Similar is with your car insurance. Your car insurance policy protects you from any financial loss because of any damage to your car, or in the case of theft of the vehicle. Auto insurance also covers damage caused to a third party or property. It is mandatory in India; everyone with a car (or a two-wheeler) must get an auto insurance through a car insurance company.
Factors which decides your car insurance premium
Car insurance companies take the following factors into account while deciding the insurance premium
- Insured Declared Value (IDV): IDV decides the coverage amount of the vehicle. The coverage is decided on the basis of the value of the car, after taking into account the depreciation.
- Age of the driver: Older the driver of the vehicle, the lower is the car insurance premium charged. This is because of a feeling that as people get older, they drive more carefully.
- Occupation of the driver: Car owners belonging to certain respectable professionals such as medical doctors, lawyers, bank managers, defence personnel and chartered accountants are offered a discount on the premium.
- Claim history: Car owners will be given a discount for not making any claims on the insurance policy in the previous years. The claim bonus can be as high as 10% to 50%. On the other hand, car owners who make a number of claims on their vehicle face the prospect of paying much higher insurance premiums.
Key factors to consider before purchasing your auto insurance
Before going to buy an insurance premium, it is very important for you to understand the insurance claim process clearly. In general, the real colours of an insurance company will came out when it is the time for them to pay for your insurance. Hence, it is very important for you to check their policy terms online. The main benefit of having an insurance policy lies in the coverage they are offering to their customer. Considering the above-mentioned factors of your policy, you may clearly understand the coverage you may get from the policy you’ve opted for. The premium which you will get will be determined by the IDV of your car. The value of IDV is directly proportional to the cost of your premium plan. So, in case your vehicle has low IDV then you will get less premium amount from your policy.
Following are the five commandments to consider before purchasing an insurance:
Insurance coverage plan: This is the most important commandment you should look for in your insurance provider policy. Some companies offer some other added services, towing facility and depreciation in their policy. Therefore, it is very essential for you to read thoroughly your policy documents before going to purchase it.
Price: While looking for a car insurance, you should consider comparing cost to feature ratio of the policy. Don’t be trapped by looking only at whole cost of your Insurance plan. You should compare different policies online and make a list of things you want in your insurance.
Customer service reviews: Before buying an insurance plan, read customer service reviews online and opt for a good insurance company plan. Make sure that the insurance service provider has good reputation with the customers and a good service feedback at the time of claim settlement.
Performance reviews of insurance companies: It is very important for you to check the insurance company’s claim settlement ratio which is determined by the total number of settled customers out of the no. of claim made by customers. Also, you should identify their claim settlement time.
Riders or add-on services provided: Some companies also provide add-on services to their customers. With which your insurance plan cost can go a little bit high but in the end, it is worth purchasing for. These add-ons may include:
- Engine protection – In case your engine gets damaged due to some reason then you may go for this add-on. For this, you have to talk to your insurance provider.
- Zero depreciation cover – This add-on covers full reimbursement of damaged car parts in an accident. However, you should read the terms and condition carefully as it may vary from company to company.
- Roadside assistance cover – It covers from arrangement of mechanic to basic services such as refuelling, towing, replacement of tire etc.
Final thought on getting new car insurance
Generally, when you buy a new car, the insurance is arranged by the showroom itself. But you don’t have to get the insurance quote from the showroom.
You can always check the insurance quotes online and get the insurance directly from the insurer. This is a great way to save on the premium costs and get comprehensive coverage for the lowest possible expense.
If you are buying a second-hand car or a pre-owned car, the car insurance provider will send someone to inspect the vehicle before deciding on the premium to be paid.
It is very important that you should not make any false declarations when applying for the car insurance online. Any wrong information provided by the car owner can cause the policy to be immediately terminated.