Why Is Jaipur A Top Tourist Destination In The World?By
Jaipur is one of the most visited cities in India. Jaipur is India’s most enthralling city and a gateway to Rajasthan, India’s most stunning state. It is a city which throbs with history and attracts millions of tourists from India and abroad.
Tourism in Rajasthan
Tourism in Rajasthan is famous mainly for forts and palaces and it starts in October and continues till April. The Rajasthan Government expects foreign tourists going up from 1.5 million to 2.5 million and domestic tourists from 33 million to 50 million by 2018. As per TravelJee, Rajasthan is the fifth most visited state in the country. Almost 1,351,974 foreign tourists visits Rajasthan which counts 6.9% share in the total.
Jaipur – the Pink City
There are a number of places to visit in Jaipur that are worth visiting, such as palaces, forts and historic buildings. The elaborate architecture of Jaipur’s monuments is a reminder of their royal heritage. The streets of Jaipur are colourful and often chaotic, but have a charm of their own. There are camels crossing the busiest streets, without a care in the world, with BMWs driving alongside autorickshaws and a swarm of motorbikes.
The best places to visit in Jaipur are islands of peace and tranquillity amid the chaotic traffic and the noise. Before we discuss more about the most popular tourist places in Jaipur, let’s answer the question that’ in your mind – why is Jaipur called the “Pink City”?
Jaipur is referred to by the title Pink City, but very few people know why, exactly. There are many reasons for this. The colours of the stones used for construction of all structures in Jaipur are all various shades of pink. Most buildings in Jaipur are pink in colour.
Pink is the colour of hospitality. In 1876, when the Prince of Wales and Queen Victoria were visiting Jaipur, the then Maharaja Ram Singh of Jaipur had all the buildings in the city painted in pink as a gesture of friendship towards his royal guests. This has since become a tradition and most people in Jaipur paint their homes or buildings in various shades of pink.
So what are the famous places to visit in Jaipur?
- Amer Fort – The Amer Fort is a majestic structure which is famous for its lovely palaces and powerfully built battlements. It is a perfect blend of Hindu and Muslim architecture. It is a sight to behold, with pavilions made from white marble and red sandstone. The palaces at Amer Fort are very lavish, large and ornamented. The old palace at the Amer Fort was built by Raja Man Singh. This was followed by extensions made by Maharaja Mirja Raja Jai Singh and Sawai Jai Singh.
Amer Fort has interesting structures with intricate architecture such as the Sheesh Mahal or the Chamber of Mirrors, Diwan-e-Aam or the Hall of Public Audience and Diwan e-Khas or the Hall of Private Audience. There’s a temple inside called the Sukh Mandir, which has large sandalwood doors fortified with ivory. Amer Fort is certainly one of the best tourist destinations in Jaipur.
- Hawa Mahal – Hawa Mahal was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799. It is a stunning five stories tall semi-octagonal monument with 152 windows and overhanging latticed balconies. It is built by the Maharaja to allow the queens and princesses to watch the processions on the streets below without being observed by anyone outside. The Hawa Mahal offers a wonderful panoramic view of Jaipur.
- Jantar Mantar Observatory – The Jantar Mantar Observatory was built by Raja Jai Singh II between 1727 and 1734. It has several interesting, but bizarre structures, each of which has a specialized astronomical function as intended by its creator, Raja Jai Singh, who was a noted astronomer. The structures are capable of measuring time accurately; predicting eclipses, and tracking stars. The gigantic Samrat Yantra sundial, which is at a height of 90 feet and measures time, is the most impressive structure here.
- Nahargarh Fort – Nahargarh Fort or Tiger Fort is a must visit in Jaipur. It was built in 1734 to defend the city and is perched high on the Aravali Hills. It became famous recently as many scenes from the hit Bollywood blockbuster Rang De Basanti starring Aamir Khan were filmed here. It is a perfect spot for a picnic and looks really great at night when it is lit up with bright lights.
- Rambagh Palace – Rambagh was built in 1835. This is supposed to be the former residence of Maharaja of Jaipur which is now converted to a luxury hotel by Taj. It is a must see tourists spot which is decorated with hand-carved marble ‘jalis’ or latticework, sandstone balustrades, cupolas and ‘chattris’ or cenotaphs, and elaborate Mughal Gardens.
- Birla Mandir – This famous Hindu temple is located on an elevated ground at the base of Moti Dungari hill. This temple is one the major attractions in Jaipur. The temple was built in 1988 by the Birla Group of Industries and is dedicated to Lord Vishnu (Narayan). It is a proud architectural landmark in Jaipur built with the finest quality of white marbles.
- The Jaipur Markets – Shopping in Jaipur is one of the most fun things you will ever do. Jaipur has several wonderful markets and bazaars where you can buy some of the most beautiful customized jewellery, bangles, gold and silver necklaces, fabrics, gemstones, handcrafts and more. Among the most popular markets in Jaipur are Johari Bazaar, Tripolia Bazaar, Chandpole Bazar, Kishanpole Bazaar and Sireh Deori Bazaar.
Rimtimmers recommend the following travel agents or agencies in Jaipur:
Mint Travels & ToursAddress: 21/7, Near Bhrigu Path, Main Madhyam Marg, Mansarovar, Jaipur – 302020
Phone No: +91-9413622560
Rajasthan Trip AdvisorAddress: 131, Parvati Nagar, Near Benar Railway Station, Benar Road, Jaipur – 302012
Phone No: +91-9887727236
More Detail: Rajasthan Trip Advisor
Krishna Tours & TravelsAddress: 905, New Sanganer Road, Sodala, Jaipur – 302019
Phone No: +91-9772123777
Prime Adventure ToursAddress: 60-B,Bhairav Nagar, Hirapura, Vaishali Nagar, Jaipur – 302021
Phone No: +91-9983337888
Reliable Tour & TravelAddress: C-4, Opp. Bhawani Niketan School, Sikar Road, Ambabari, Jaipur – 302023
Phone No: +91-9660779266
Bhuwan ToursAddress: 100, Kasturba Nagar, Nirman Nagar, Brijlal Pura, Jaipur – 302019
Phone No: +91-9413042903
Arora Tours & TravelsAddress: 14, 15-C, Satyendra Colony, Hatwara Road, Sodala, Jaipur – 302006
Phone No: +91-9660761391
More Detail: Arora Tours & Travels
Enticing Tour – Travel Agnecy in JaipurAddress: 3-JA-18, Jawahar Nagar, Jaipur – 302017
Apple Tours Private LimitedAddress: 205, J-27, Ganesh Ji, C Scheme, Jaipur – 302005
Phone No: +91-9414012244
Jain HolidaysAddress: 30/16, Sec-3, Tonk Road, Pratap Nagar, Jaipur – 302033
Phone No: +91-7742250050
More Detail: Jain Holidays