Shopping Malls In Chennai: Favourite Destination For The YouthBy
Have you been to any of the shopping malls in Chennai? Chennai is one of the biggest cities in India, and the pride of the state of Tamil Nadu. It is a busy, bustling metropolis with a population of over 8.2 million. Originally called as Madras, the city was a major trade center during the time of British rule.
Chennai has always been a very traditional city, but since the liberalization of the Indian economy in 1991, you can find any major international brand in the city. The shopping culture in Chennai, as represented by its shopping malls, has been completely transformed over the last decade and a half. The malls in Chennai are packed with shoppers from morning till late at night.
Shopping malls in Chennai
The shopping malls of Chennai have spread like wildfire and have changed the face of the city. Shopping in Chennai is a great experience, especially for the young and the restless. There’s nothing more exciting than to go on a date in some of Chennai’s busiest shopping malls.
- All in one place: You can buy virtually anything you want in these malls, which are packed with stores from all over the world. But you might as well spend an entire day without buying anything, there’s no compulsion to spend money.
- Window shopping: The shopping malls are great for window shopping and people watching. The malls are packed with locals, people from other states and foreign tourists. Chennai is a very cosmopolitan city, with people from all over India. In the Chennai malls, you have a most diverse set of people from all over India and the rest of the world, all under the same roof. This is wonderful to see.
- Top brands: Most of the malls in Chennai are packed with stores belonging to some of the biggest brands in India and abroad. You can buy whatever you want here – electronics, smartphones, tablets, clothes, boutiques, fashion accessories, furniture, luxury handbags, purses, fiction and non-fiction books, jewelry, laptops, chocolates and more at unbelievable prices. Almost every store offers some kind of a discount.
- Air conditioned: Also, since the shopping malls are air conditioned, you are well protected from the harsh weather of Chennai. Even as Chennai bristles at over 40 degrees Celsius, you will stay cool in the air-conditioned malls here. These malls stay operational even when the rest of the city struggles amid torrential rainfall. They are an oasis of calm and are well protected from the noise pollution of the streets outside.
- Shopping hub: You can shop in the most relaxing and comfortable atmosphere, and never get bored. If you are a shopaholic, you will love spending time in the malls of Chennai. These malls are more than just a place where you can shop, they are cool places to hang out with your friends. They are many centers of fun and recreation in these malls such as bowling alleys, games centers, and other recreation spots.
- Cafes, pubs and food courts: They are dotted with coffee shops, pubs and bars, and even have discotheques, which are packed with young people late into the night. They have large food courts, where you can try out cuisines from virtually every corner of the world. You can take out your family for lunch here on a weekend.
- Safe meeting place: Shopping malls in Chennai are also safe places to go on a first date with someone you’ve met only recently. There’s a lot of fun to be had and since you’re surrounded by people all the time and have so much to do, there’s no awkwardness of any kind. Your date will feel instantly at home and open up. It’s a great spot to have a free and open conversation, without having to worry about awkward silences.
- Multiplexes: Chennai is a city that’s crazy about movies. Every shopping mall in Chennai has a multiplex. Inox and PVR are the most popular multiplexes in Chennai and have taken over the top floors of many of the malls here.
There’s nothing more important to the top multiplex chains in India such as PVR and Inox than to ensure a world class level of comfort for their audience. The multiplexes have been designed very well. They are all air conditioned, and the seating arrangements are top class. The washrooms are very clean, and even spotless. The food and drink at the multiplexes is very good, albeit expensive.
Shopping malls and their services
Shopping malls in Chennai deal with a lot of competition from online stores such as Flipkart, Amazon and Snapdeal. But they are doing just fine, all the same. In fact, there are more people visiting shopping malls today than before. That’s because malls offer a complete social experience, they are more than just places where you buy something.
Value customers: They add value to the shopper, which goes beyond the act of buying itself. They are a cool hangout for friends, a meeting spot for couples, a place to organize a birthday celebration or a high school or college reunion.
So, spending time at shopping malls is a favorite indulgence for many. An average person spends around three hours in a mall at a time. For the young and the restless, there’s nothing better than spending an entire weekend lounging at their favorite mall.
Place to chill: A typical Sunday morning for Chennai’s shopaholics consists of spending a couple hours at the trendiest stores in their favorite mall. This is usually followed by a coffee in Café Coffee Day, Barista or other popular coffee shops. Then it’s time to catch up with the latest Hollywood release in the multiplex on the top floor.
After enjoying the movie, it’s time for lunch at the food court. There are dozens of food stores offering a variety of Indian and international cuisines. The lunch is followed by a visit to a bookshop within the mall, which have the latest magazines, fiction and non-fiction books by Indian and international authors.It should be evening by now. Why not have a drink at one of the cozy pubs within the mall, or perhaps get yourself a manicure or pedicure at a luxurious salon?
Everything you need is within the shopping mall itself, there’s no need to go anywhere else. With a heavy heart, as you depart for home, you can reflect on a day well spent.
Rimtimmers recommends the following shopping malls in Chennai
Spencer PlazaAddress: S-72, Spencer Plaza 769, Anna Salai, Chennai – 600002
Phone No: +91-9940180951
Chennai Citi CentreAddress: No.10 & 11 Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore, Chennai – 600004
Phone No: +91-44-28477666
More Details: Chennai Citi Centre
Express AvenueAddress: No. 2, Club House Road, Royapettah, Chennai – 600002
Phone No: +91-44-28464646
Spectrum MallAddress: No.114A & 114B, Paper Mills Road, Chennai – 600011
Phone No: +91-44-26703565
Alsa MallAddress: Montieth Road, Egmore, Chennai – 600008
Phone No: +91-8428978280
Abirami Mega MallAddress: 152, Purasaiwakkam High Road, Chennai – 600010
Phone No: +91-44-30244477
Ampa SkywalkAddress: No. 1, Nelson Manickam Road, 627, Poonamalee High Road, Aminjikarai, Chennai – 600029
Phone No: +91-44-30249494
More Details: Ampa Skywalk
The Grand MallAddress: 137, Seetharam Nagar Main Road, Velachery, Chennai – 600042
Phone No: +91-44-30722733
Hameedia Shopping MallAddress: 17 C P Ramaswamy Road, Alwarpet, Chennai – 600018
Phone No: +91-44-43536494
The Forum Vijaya MallAddress: Plot No. 183, NSK Salai, Arcot Road, Vadapalani, Chennai – 600026
Phone No: +91-44-49049000