Kolkata Police: Men In White Keep The City In PeaceBy
The well-being and development of any civilization depends on the public security measures enforced. For the day to day hassle free running of a society, the police are the upholders of social order.
The Indian police system is one of the largest and most commendable ones in the world. A survey of the state wise strength of the police force in India conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation, Government of India, stated that there were a total of 1215050 civil police personnel and 378834 armed police personnel working in India as on 31st December 2011.
With a country, as large as India and the resultant estimated crime rates, a strong task force is indispensable. An annual statistical report published by the National Crime Records Bureau, Government of India for the year 2015, the total number of violent crimes in India including robbery, riots, murder, dowry deaths, sexual crimes, etc., amounted to 335901 which, at 26.7% crime rate contributed 11.4% to the total number of reported crimes in India country for that year.
One of the oldest established orders in India, the Kolkata Police force is one of the most praiseworthy and efficient commiserates in the world. The legacy goes back to the time of the colonial period and the establishment of the city of Calcutta on the banks of the river Hooghly.
Kolkata, as of today, is one of the largest cities in the east of India, both in terms of area coverage as well as commercial advancement. The smooth daily functioning of a metropolis of this size is owed to the efficient security management of the police.
Initiatives of Kolkata police
The dynamic command system of the Kolkata police is largely due to well planned co-ordination designed by the authorities. The entire metropolitan area as well as a little distance into the outskirts falls under the jurisdiction of the Kolkata police force. The entry and exit of vehicles is well monitored at all the roads leading into the city. This ensures that the entry of suspicious objects or activists is cinched at the root.
Within the city, police officers can be seen stationed and actively working 24×7. The officers are selected through tests conducted by the government and trained for physical strength and analytical tactics before being enrolled in the task force.
The city police are further strengthened by the technological advancements made in different fields. Cyber security has been gaining immense fortitude since the past few decades and is extremely well established. The cyber crime branch of the Kolkata police is finely equipped and has been able to forgo thousands of major crimes since its inception. The department is one of the best in the entire country and stands as a role model to all.
Civilian policy made by Kolkata police
- Law and order: The police routinely issues newsletters and announcements for individual safety of the citizens. The fundamental aim of the system is to get the public involved in the safekeeping of law and order in the society.
- Precautions: The police force extends warning against touching unclaimed objects standing in public places for a long time. In addition, CCTV cameras have been installed all throughout the city to aid in quick detection of suspicious activities and handling.
- Emergency helplines: Safety measures and emergency phone numbers have been displayed in great density around the city so that people in need of help can always find it, irrespective of the location. The response time is also quick, owing to the extremely large number of police stations in and around Kolkata.
- Police in disguise: Certain police officers, not in uniform, are also stationed throughout the city every day. This strategy looks out for suspicious activity and potential crime, and many a time has led to resolution of criminal incidents without any public disturbance and panic.
- Safety measures: The Kolkata police also regularly issues instructions for schools and other educational institutions that are meant to be strictly followed. Basic measures like wearing and verification of identity cards before entering the complex, building of emergency exits at prescribed corridors, informing students and staff about safety measures in case of emergency, display of phone numbers of important public service departments, etc. are directed to all the presiding heads of administration.
Tourist policy of Kolkata police
The Kolkata police also release several safety notes for foreign tourists. The city of Kolkata is a rich center of Indian heritage and harbors thousands of tourists every year. To make sure that their stay in the city is pleasant, safe and hassle free, the police force has issued guidelines to be strictly followed by the tourists as well as the hotels they choose to stay in.
Initiatives like these are extremely helpful, especially for somebody who is visiting for the first time. All tourist spots also have continually stationed ad dedicated security forces to ensure general safety.
Police of Kolkata safeguarding the community
Social initiatives: In addition to serving security enforcements, the Kolkata police force is also involved in a lot of community welfare programs. Spreading awareness about public safety while working in welfare projects is the prime aim of these endeavors.
Support and co-operation:The police, in collaboration with several non-governmental organizations work in the sector of health, education and sports in locations near the police stations. They operate in schools and residential colonies, especially for the marginal sections of the society.
Organizes tournaments: The Kolkata police also organize football and cricket tournaments, hockey matches and several other sports. They also offer sports scholarships to hundreds of underprivileged children every year, helping them perform to full potential. A selected number of deserving children are given free training in the police sports stadiums.
Scholarships: The Kolkata police have also made endeavors in the sector of education. It issues scholarships to meritorious students in local schools helping them to pursue higher studies. There have been several instances of pride for the police department when students receiving education with the aid of police scholarships have earned remarkable success and have joined Kolkata police as able bodied officers.
The Kolkata police is poised as a marker for illustrious administration of public safety while ensuring harmony in the city affairs. It is also the duty of all citizens to cooperate with the force and abide by all the rules laid down to ensure the peaceful running of this beautiful city.
Rimtimmers recommends the following police stations in Kolkata
Amherst Street Police StationAddress: 57, Raja Ram Mohan Sarani, Machuabazar, Kolkata – 700009
Phone No: +91-33-23605714
Baguiati Police StationAddress: VIP Road, Arjunpur, Raghunathpur, RajarhatGopalpur, Kolkata – 700059
Phone No: +91-33-25598799
Bidhannagar North Police StationAddress: Salt Lake, Bidhan Nagar, East-ps, Sector II, Kolkata – 700091
Phone No: +91-33-23373343
Beniapukur Police StationAddress: Gorachand Road, Beniapukur, Kolkata – 700014
Phone No: +91-33-22844770
Cossipore Police StationAddress: 58/A, Barrackpore Trunk Road, Barrackpore, Kolkata – 700002
Phone No: +91-33-25566434
Manicktala Police StationAddress: No. 20, Canal Road, Canal W Road, Manicktala, Kolkata – 700006
Phone No: +91-33-23605681
RPF Booth, Belgharia Railway StationAddress: 56, Belgaria Police Station, Belgharia, Kolkata – 700056
Phone No: +91-33-25531717
Lake Police Station Address: 18, Gariahat Road South, Kolkata – 700068
Phone No: +91-33-24292353
Jorabagan Police StationAddress: 78, Nimtala Ghat Street, Sovabazar, Kolkata – 700006
Phone No: +91-33-22184094
Tangra Police StationAddress: 15, GobindaKhatick Road, Kolkata – 700015
Phone No: +91-33-23297565